Wednesday, October 29, 2008

MRAZ

Alright GRIF-ites. I went to a show last night in Salt Lake City - Jason Mraz. All I have to say is this: WOW.

The man is amazing! He has an INCREDIBLE voice. I've never heard a voice so smooth, yet kickin' at the same time.

My only disappointment about the show was that he didn't play two of my favorites. He didn't play "Wordplay," nor "You and I Both." I can see why he didn't play "Wordplay," but I thought that "You and I Both" would have fit right in with his show.

It was definitely not a rock show - that much I'll say. It was very suave. He serenaded his audience instead of rocking their guts out. The version of "The Remedy" that he put on was very different from the Album cut, but that didn't devalue it at all. It still offered the audience a chance to sing along with the song they new, but in a different, more "I'm Yours"-ish kind of style.

If you've listened to his latest album, "We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things," you'll know that all of that music follows that chill, almost reggae style. There's almost no pop on that album, so I guess he's trying to switch things up after Mr. A-Z. The track that I think epitomized his show, ironically enough, came from Mr. A-Z - it was "Bella Luna." When he introduced the song, he said that it was "time to get smoov - with a v - S-M-O-O-V" He then gave the audience the most beautiful rendition of the song that I have ever had the privilege to hear.

It was definitely not a rock show, but it was still of the handle. Quality music, folks. Quality stuff right there.

So, after that, this week is going to feature some of my favorite tracks from the new Mraz album, as well as a lot of similar singer-songwriter stuff. Last week we rocked your face off, and this week, we are going to serenade you.

I hope you enjoy. I know that I will. Get ready to sing with soul, because that's what I'm putting out there

No comments: